- 2023/07/08: I'm working on making at least parts of my site usable
on mobile. My nature blog and photo
gallery, for instance, now render reasonably well. (The online games such
as the Scrabble Challenge will take a fair bit more
work.) As usual, let me know if I broke anything.
Mobile-friendliness may require me to move away a bit from my old philosophy
of "must render perfectly in lynx." But does anyone but me still care?
- 2023/07/06: My website now uses secure https protocol.
(Thus, entering login credentials in the Scrabble
Challenge is now secure.)
- 2023/07/05: My website has been moved to a new hosting service.
Please let me know if you run into any problems.
- 2023/07/02: My entire website has moved onto the domain
homeforaday.org (that previously only hosted my blog and
photo gallery.) The redirect from ironphoenix.org will soon go away, so please
update your bookmarks. Note that I am in the process of moving to a new
hosting company. My site may be unavailable or flaky during this time.
- 2022/06/01: Worlds Apart has been updated to
- 2020/11/10: Various Scrabble-related things on my website have
had or soon will have their dictionaries updated.
Quixotic now sports the current tournament dictionaries
for both North American and European players (NWL2018 and CSW19, respectively.)
The Scrabble Challenge will be updated to NWL2018 when
the next game begins. Wordplay, my anagramming/hooking
practice app, has already been updated to NWL2020, which comes into effect
in tournament play as of this coming January.
If you run into any problems with any of the above, let me know.
- 2018/11/04: Added an Ataxx game to my website,
that you can play against the computer.
- 2017/11/02: Released a new version of GtkLife,
fixing some problems apparently introduced by newer versions of Gtk, including
a compile-time error, and failure of the start/stop button to change to red
while the pattern is running. I do still maintain this program (though I don't
know if I'll ever adapt it for Gtk 3), so please let me know if you run into
I've also removed the now-dead link to the LucidLife fork.
- 2017/10/11: My website now
features Quixotic, a Scrabble® game that lets you
play against the computer at your chosen skill level. This should be
considered somewhat beta for now. Let me know if
you have any problems with it or any comments.
- 2017/01/23: My nature blog and
photo gallery, while still physically hosted at
ironphoenix.org, now have a dedicated domain name, homeforaday.org. Let me
know if you experience any problems with this transition.
- 2015/12/09: The Scrabble Challenge is now using
the latest North American tournament dictionary, OWL3 aka OTCWL2014.
- 2015/11/25: Wordplay version 0.4 is now
available, using the latest Scrabble tournament dictionary (OWL3.)
- 2014/06/29: My nature blog is now hosted
locally. (Since blog posts may be frequent, they will not be announced here.)
- 2014/06/14: Fvwm configs page back up,
- 2014/06/02: Got a request for the Fvwm "Quest for
the Perfect Window Manager" page, so it's back up.
- 2014/05/26: Since it is no longer the 90's, I decided it was time
to retire the old personal homepage. Of course, the actual content here (photo
gallery, Scrabble Challenge, etc.) will remain, except that I will probably
retire the Fvwm pages unless I get requests for them to come back. Some URLs
have been changed so if I broke anything let me know.
- 2011/04/04: My new nature photography gallery is
now up and running!
- 2009/11/22: Contact address changed.
- 2009/08/07: Updated my resume to reflect recent work experience.
Also uploaded a new self-photograph as well as a new representative photo for
my DeviantArt gallery, added a link to my LJ, and added a link to the National
- 2008/10/29: New photo for my DeviantArt gallery link.
- 2008/02/20: A link to my DeviantArt gallery has been added to the main page.
- 2007/08/18: Wordplay updated to version 0.3,
which uses the new Scrabble tournament dictionary (OWL2).
- 2006/09/14: GtkLife 5.1 has been released,
with numerous improvements.
- 2006/09/05: GtkLife 5.0 has been released,
now supporting Gtk+ 2.
- 2006/08/31: New screenshot on front page.
- 2006/06/14: The Worlds Apart page now has a
link to Valentine Kozin's fan-art video.
- 2006/03/01: Scrabble Challenge updated
to use OWL2.
- 2005/10/10: New screenshot on front page.
- 2005/09/18: Released version 0.2 of Wordplay,
which fixes a crashing bug.
- 2005/10/31: First release of Wordplay, an
anagramming game for *nix.
- 2005/01/13: The Bifurcation Demo from my old site
has been restored on request.
- 2004/12/04: Still more registration improvements at the Scrabble Challenge, this time for IE6 users. See news for details.
- 2004/12/03: I've improved the registration handling for the Scrabble Challenge to accomodate IE4 users. See Challenge news for details.
- 2004/12/02: The Turing Machine Simulator has been
recompiled for Java 1.1. It should now work much better with older browsers and
older versions of Java.
- 2004/11/30: The Heart of Gold has moved to ironphoenix.org. Please update
your bookmarks and links (note that all pages now have the extension .shtml
instead of .html). Several old, poorly maintained sections of my website have
been retired (e.g. the Interactive Fiction pages), while others have been
renovated. In particular, the Scrabble Challenge now
has user registration.
My e-mail address has also changed.
Nature Photography |
Scrabble Challenge |
Worlds Apart |
Site Updated: 2023/Jul/5
Copyright © 2023, All Rights Reserved. Check the
credits before you borrow any of the graphics on these pages.